Label Printing Process
Label Printing is a Science
Many of our label printing competitors say screen printing is an art. At Marking Systems, we believe printing is a science. By controlling and documenting each step of the process, we can be sure our customers get the high-quality labels they depend on, every time. Repeatability is the key to our success!
We spend considerable time and money upfront to document the entire product label manufacturing process. We do this because our customers want all of their labels, regardless of type, to be exactly the same from production run to production run. In our screen printing department we control the following variables:
- Screen tension: All screens are monitored to make sure their tension is within proper range of between 17 to 22 newtons.
- Screen emulsion: Coating weights are recorded and monitored to make sure each screen is coated within tolerance.
- Exposure times: MSI measures screen exposure by light units to accommodate for light source output.
- Every press starts with a new squeegee every day.
- Press settings: Squeegee and flood bar pressure, off contact, squeegee speed, squeegee angle and ink flood bar are all adjusted back to the 0,0 position when starting a new job. Press operators must get manager approval to adjust press settings.
All of our customers display their branding with pride as well as building their entire marketing approach around consistent brand identification. It's extremely important that their customer sees the exact same icons, shapes and colors that associate with their brand on every label.
Come visit our plant and let us introduce you to our DMI reporting system. Every printing and cutting press has a direct machine interface attached that reports to our management team the productivity of that press. Impressions per hour, setup times and waste. Our DMI system shows us how our production is doing on a minute-by-minute basis. This allows our team to make constant improvements.
We specialize in sheet-fed screen printing, digital printing, roll-to-roll screen printing, digital padprinting, hot pad printing and direct laser etching.
Sheet-Fed Screen Printing
Marking Systems is a leader in screen printing tight tolerance sub-surface polycarbonate nameplates, overlays and membrane switches.
Our six-color carousel printer produces high-quality/tight tolerance parts (+ or - .010) print to print, print to cut, and cutting dimensions in a fraction of the time more traditional single-color presses can.
Why should you choose MSI as your Overlay, Nameplate, membrane Switch and Label provider? Several reasons. First, MSI’s screen printing department controls all of the printing variables. This means that we constantly monitor emulsion thickness, screen exposure time/power, press settings (off-contact, squeegee angle and pressure and flood bar). Nothing is left to chance. By recording and monitoring these variables MSI ensures that each job is run correctly and can be perfectly repeated. Secondly all of MSI cutting is done using camera registration to ensure +-.010 tolerances print to cut. This means every part in an order is the same. Your LCD and LED windows line up perfectly for every part.
We are experts at low-cost, high-quality multi-color overlay and nameplate label printing.
Since 2002, Marking Systems has been a leader in digital label printing of tight tolerance sub-surface polycarbonate nameplates and overlays.
Tolerances of (+ - .010) for print to print, print to cut, and in cutting dimensions ensure you have the form, fit and function you expect.
Our G-7 training means true and accurate reproduction of your digital files. By measuring grayscale accuracy, G-7 ensures visually accurate label printing and color reproduction on all thicknesses of polycarbonate, polyester, vinyl and paper.
Our current line up of Digital Presses include:
- HP Indigo 450 (Perfect for sub-surface printed polycarbonate and polyester overlays)
- HP FB700 (48” wide) Prints both sheets and rolls
- Roland UV
- Roland Solvent
- Gerber Plotter
Roll-to-Roll Screen Printing
Marking Systems is one of only a handful of companies in the country that can screen print roll to roll. This million- dollar press was designed for high-volume durable product labels such as warning/caution, thermal printable labels and sub-surface polycarbonate nameplates.
This press is very economical for production quantities above 5,000 and has completed jobs up to 500,000 pieces. Label printing in this manner ensures long-lasting durability in the most extreme outdoor environments.
Digital Pad Printing
Need a full-color print directly on your product? Want more colors on your product label but don't want to pay more? Have multiple prints for the same bezel and want a group price? Still need ASTM D3359, Class B durability? Digital Pad Printing is the answer.
Marking Systems can now print directly on a plastic/metal bezel with the same or better durability than traditional pad label printing. This process passes the ASTM D3359, Class B scratch test for plastic substrates.
Hot Stamp Printing
Hot stamping provides economical printing of simple one- and two-color labels printed on pressure-sensitive polyester, vinyl and paper in quantities from 100 to 25,000. These presses print, laminate and die cut all in line for high-quality fast production at a very low cost. These laminated labels are extremely durable and in most cases are UL and CSA certified.
Direct Laser Etching
Our new SpeedMarker laser has been designed to efficiently etch directly onto both metal and plastic bezels. The SpeedMarker laser produces permanent, durable markings for applications such as datamatrix bar codes, serialization, logos, text and deep engraving. This system works on both plastic and metals.
If you have an application for our laser etcher please feel free to contact your MSI CSR or sales representative.
Why Choose MSI?
Marking Systems Inc. has been providing industry-leading durable labels of every variety for more than 50 years. Over the years, we’ve worked hard to create a legacy for ourselves that we can be proud of. We exclusively serve manufacturing companies and are the experts in meeting their exacting standards. There are many reasons to choose MSI as your product label provider, but here are a few reasons we feel are the most compelling.
- More than 50 years of experience with screen and digital printing
- 25 years exclusively serving OEM’s rigorous requirements
- One of five 3M Preferred Converter label printing companies
- ISO9001:2015 certified
- MSI works exclusively with manufacturing companies in industries such as Test and Measurement, Telecommunications, Medical, Electrical Distribution, Security, Aerospace and more
- Comprehensive label capabilities ranging from membrane switches, overlays, decorative nameplates, information labels, die cuts and more
- MSI’s technical department will work directly with your engineers to help them design the highest quality, lowest cost durable label
- Rapid Prototyping program, 10 pieces in 1-2 weeks, production quality
Reach out to us at Marking Systems today to get started with your prototype!